This Renaissance cake recipe is taken from The Queens Closet Opened: Incomparable Secrets in Phyfick, Chyrurgery, Preferving, Candying, and Cookery by W. M., published by Nathaniel Brooks,
, 1658. London
The following recipe to make a cake have been translated into modern English and modern is the division between ingredients and direction as well(= pure).
- a pound of sugar finely beaten
- four yolks (=tuorli) of eggs
- two whites of eggs
- one half pound of butter
- fix spoonfuls of sweet warmed cream
- one pound of currants
- as much flour as will make it up
- mix all the ingredients well together
- make them into cakes
- bake them in an oven; almost as hot as for manchet (= pane francese a cassetta)
- half an hour will bake them.